Tonight we are looking at another great model railway that was on display at the Southampton Model Railway Exhibition in January. The Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway from Weston to Clevedon as a tramway in 1897, converted to a ‘light railway’ in 1899 and finally extended to Portishead in 1907. It allowed local residents travel between the towns without the lengthy inland detours via the Great Western Railway. It imported coal for merchants and gas works and exported a considerable amount of limestone from quarries in the Gordano Valley.
In financial difficulties from the beginning, ‘Colonel’ H F Stephens was appointed the lines General Manager in 1911, but despite returning occasional profits the fortunes of the line steadily declined and the last train ran on 18 May 1940. The WC&PR’s rolling stock was typically run down second-hand equipment, bought cheaply from other railways, some of which also run…
View original post 117 more words