65 years! Link below may be of interest
Home from Stuttgart, and the lounge is again full of railways. They will go upstairs to the loft tomorrow, when I have a little more energy. We had another excellent week at the Stuttgart N-Club International meet. On the whole, the layout behaved very well, though there were a few electrical issues needing rewiring as…
— Read on esngblog.com/2018/11/28/stuttgart-2018-1/
Another very informative meeting, this time on the pros and cons of chassis building.
I gave the sorry tale of my Terrier chassis – determined to get it to work!
Tony Briddon brought along his competition winning Duchess which runs as good as it looks.
We also had a SE&CR O running (13.5 but able to go round the 14.2 test track).
Andrew Barnes brought along some of his lovely coaches
And for good measure a scratchbuilt SE&CR class C 0-6-0 which did quite a few circuits!
There was an example of an 0-6-0 chassis
And then Group discussion
All finished off with a couple of pints in the Parcel Yard – a good end to the day 😊
As per the title new tooling for Terrier in 4mm 00 see here https://grahammuz.com/2018/03/24/new-00-ex-lbsc-a1-a1x-terrier-announced-by-rails-of-sheffield/
Modelling Southern Railway 1946 to 1949
Fisherton Sarum and Canute Road Quay
You receive all messages sent to this group.
Had the opportunity to do some modelling being another year older and all that.
Started Andy Shillitos Linton Kits SECR P class in 3mm.
The kit is well thought out with tabs for locating the etch. I did find the tanks were handed and that I had 2 left hands instead of 1 left & 1 right but was able to overcome that. Had to do the boiler in 2 halves more my modelling skills than the kit design.
The castings are 3D printed rather than the usual white metal or lost wax so that should be interesting.
Here are a couple of pictures
Just valances buffet bean and course roof to add. As for the chassis I have a motor that should fit with my usual branch line gear box with Alan Gibson wheels to complete, just got to work out the pickups couplings and livery. Considering painting as below
(Photo from Project 27 blog)
This was the livery used by the SECR in WW1 reportedly for goods engines.
What of the Terrier you might ask? The chassis is a runner but the pick ups need sorting and I have found the roof which did a runner. So within touching distance.
The Pickering needs more weight and I am going to use the motor for the P for now until I workout how to weight it.
That’s all for now.
Had an enjoyable weekend at Uckfield show. Got to meet Olly and Chris (thanks for the help Saturday) and went to the social Saturday night with a lovely dinner and food pint of Harvey’s.
The downside – the layout behaved like a pig, total points failure all weekend plus ripped the track up from the 3 road fiddle Yard and then to top it all the long siding point blade dropped. Then there were the niggles, uncoupling Stock lack of engines, still all down to experience and hopefully Beckenham this weekend will be better.
Thanks must go to Tony P for his help on Sunday but my overwhelming thanks must go to Mr P not only for transporting the layout and operating help but for his company.
Here are the photos
24 hours to go – so will it be a case of burning the midnight oil?
Really pleased with the way the scenery has turned out although have not been able to do a backscene but have the lighting beam finished with one layout name on. Should of been a totem but had to be cut down to fit – ho hum.
As for the running – given the track a good clean and made adjustments to the 3 road fiddle yard exit with wire n tube, hopefully cured the gauging issue.
As for locos – have not managed to finish the Terrier (longest loco build in history) for a variety of reasons mainly not happy about the pickups and having a job with a lot of evening work the past couple of weeks has not helped. Still thanks to the good offices of the Mid Kent light railway the Colonel has been able to borrow some locos plus the Lee branch and the Amersham and district have contributed stock plus the Cobham light (my sincere thanks gentleman).
Today it is case of fitting end protectors and packing all that’s required for tomorrow’s early start.
Here are the pictures-
When you think October is a long way away now at the end of July!
Still lots to do. The Pickering Railcar is now motorised but need to sort out the weight issue.
Good news on the Terrier, I now have a working runnable chassis!
So next to the painting and finishing stage, need to research which one it needs to be.
Today took delivery of a LB&SC 54′ brake coach built for me by Andrew Barnes. An excellent model it is too and my grateful thanks go to Andrew for the time he has put it to building it for me.
That’s all for now.
To hot outside to hot in but slightly cooler so time for modelling.
As promised progress on the Pickering
Body complete all bar addition of Westinghouse pump – 3smr one I brought was too big for a wee tankie. Still not cracked the chassis though but think I might have found a way.
Added the Dapol signal which that nice Mr Stephens purchased off the Great Western as they had a couple going spare! The box in the background was built for me by Andrew Barnes (thank you Andrew) and a very nice model it is too.
How does the West Sussex Light Railway grab you Mr P.
That’s all for now, till next time happy modelling.
Been awhile since I have posted on the progress of the Terrier.
Well progress is a lot slower than I would of liked. The body still needs a lot of work. As for the chassis, it runs direct from the power leads to the motor but pick up off the wheels does not seem to happen so will have to work at that one.
Still have till September to complete her for running on Wimblehurst Road. Here are the pics.